Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt to coat bottom and sides. Place in a 425° oven for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into the hot skillet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 228 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 23, 2012
I thought this was kind of bland I had tested the batter and thought the same thing so I added 2T of honey to add flavor and sweeten it but it did not help.
Feb 13, 2010
This is the best corn bread recipe I have ever made. It is a definite keeper.