- 5 medium yellow summer squash (about 2 pounds), chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) cornbread/muffin mix
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread mixes and eggs. Fold in the squash, cheeses, onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour into two 8-in. square baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen bread: Thaw at room temperature. Serve warm.
1 piece: 116 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.