Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain. Add onions and green pepper; cook until tender. Return meat to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 1-1/2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 444 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 10g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 18, 2018
I made this for supper this evening. This is def. my new chili recipe. I did not have kidney beans and used chick peas instead, was really good.Also if you own a smoker...cook it with lid off. 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. OH my....delicious!!!!!
Oct 12, 2017
I cut the recipe in half and the family loved it. It had a great flavor but I think it would have been even better with a dash of chili powder
Oct 8, 2015
Great chili. I did make some changes because of on hand ingredients or tastes of the family. I cut the recipe in half, used fire roasted diced tomatoes, can of mild green chilies, 1 can kidney beans and 1 can pinto beans, a packet of beef broth w/o water, a pinch of red pepper flakes and a splash of Worchestershire. The original recipe is a good basic chili with opportunity to make additions or subtractions; it worked for me. Turned out deliciously. We were pleased. Thanks for a great bowl of chili.
Mar 15, 2014
Best tasting chili ever
Jan 29, 2014
Good recipes. Easy to make and perfect blend of flavors. I use diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. My son loved it. Definitely I will make this again.
Jan 24, 2013
Made it for the first time last night & it was gone quick! I halved it as there are only four of us, but will definitely make the full batch next time. Had to add some salt & added some shredded cheddar, per kids' request. Loved by a picky adult, 10, & 5 yr olds.
May 9, 2012
Really good! This is a great full-flavored chili. If you want more heat, just add 1/4-1/2 tsp. ground cayenne. I also add salt to taste and a dash of worcestershire sauce. This is the only from-scratch chili I make.
Jan 5, 2012
Awesome recipe! Leftovers freeze nicely too!
Nov 2, 2011
Yummy! The only Chili recipe I use now!
Dec 16, 2010
Great tasting, hot & spicy, saves well, easy to make. I usually only use 3 lb ground sirloin so nothing to drain.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.