Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes16 servings (4 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches, crumbling meat, until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Add onions and green pepper; cook until tender. Return meat to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 1-1/2 hours.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 354 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
May 9, 2019
I quartered the recipe since I was only making it for 2 of us. It was easy to put together and I liked the taste - just the right amount of heat for me. I will keep this recipe in mind inext time I have to make chili for a crowd.
Mar 3, 2019
This is one of the better chili recipes we have tried. Not too spicy. Great flavor. Just to experiment, I may swap one of the cans of tomatoes for a can of tomato soup. Overall, this recipe is very good.
Feb 28, 2019
Canola oil, why does everyone use canola oil?? Unless canola oil is organic, it is highly contaminated with Roundup/Glyphosate which is a known carcinogen!!! Otherwise is it a good recipe!!
Feb 28, 2019
This is a favorite go-to chili since I always get lots of compliments. It is meaty, hardy and delicious! It always comes out great!
Feb 9, 2019
Great recipe, adapts to alternate ingredients and spices beautifully.
Oct 21, 2018
This smells and tastes just like Hormel canned chili, not good.
Oct 21, 2018
The general recipe was good, but was too bland for my family's taste. We had to double all the seasonings....we loved it however, after we spruced it up.
Oct 10, 2018
Delicious! This recipe was somewhat confusing because I have the original magazine which lists 3 cans 28 oz stewed tomatoes, cut up; rather than the 3- 14 1/2 oz cans listed here on the website. Well, I went back and forth and decided to go with the larger cans and I am very glad that I did as it came out perfectly! I have no idea if the error was in the magazine or on the website, but my recommendation is to go with the 28 oz size.
Feb 18, 2018
I made this for supper this evening. This is def. my new chili recipe. I did not have kidney beans and used chick peas instead, was really good.Also if you own a smoker...cook it with lid off. 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. OH my....delicious!!!!!
Oct 12, 2017
I cut the recipe in half and the family loved it. It had a great flavor but I think it would have been even better with a dash of chili powder