Garden Vegetable Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 1-1/2 carrots)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh poblano pepper, seeded
- Preheat oven to 400°. Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and honey until blended. Add to cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in carrots and peppers.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 149 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 367mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Apr 2, 2019
This recipe has something going for it and that's why I'm going to try some adjustments next time. The flavors of the finely chopped vegetables really add something to this cornbread, a depth of flavor you don't expect. That said, the bread needs just a bit of fat to really make it enjoyable - the tiny amount of fat from the cup of 2% milk is not enough. I plan to add some butter or olive oil next time. Otherwise the recipe is sound!