Easy Jalapeno Corn Bread
This homeade corn bread sent in by Angela Oelschlaeger is dressed up with green onion, cheddar cheese and jalapeno pepper. It takes just minutes to bake. "Serve it warm with honey," suggests the Tonganoxie, Kansas cook.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine the corn, egg substitute, cheese, milk, onion, butter and jalapeno. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 94 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Jalapeno Corn Bread in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.