Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh salsa, well drained
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small skillet, saute peppers in oil until tender. Spread four bread slices with mayonnaise. Layer with peppers, salsa and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-4 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 402 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
May 11, 2015
Pretty good. It has a nice little spice. I used wheat bread instead of rye. I wish I had stuck more with the recipe!
Oct 10, 2011
A nice twist on a grilled cheese, adds that extra zip, very yummy!!
Jun 6, 2011
This sandwich is super delicious! I used whole wheat focaccia bread instead of rye and it was perfect!
Apr 29, 2011
This sandwich taste amazing! Family said it was "The Bomb"! Could not believe that there was no meat in it!! I used Jewish Rye bread and we all agreed the combination of flavors with the bread and peppers along with the salsa and cheese, makes this sandwich a nice surprise.
Apr 20, 2011
It was a very good change from regular sandwiches. The rye bread gave it an extra nice flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.