Chili Steak & Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Combine the chili sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt; brush over steak. Broil steak 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green and yellow peppers in oil until tender. Add the garlic, pepper and remaining salt; cook 1 minute longer. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and horseradish. Slice steak and serve with pepper mixture and sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup pepper mixture and 1 tablespoon sauce: 265 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Nov 17, 2018
Delightful with flavors that make a definite presence! Easy and relatively quick to make on a work day. I doubled the amount of chili sauce to cover both sides. It did work just fine to cook the meat under the broiler. I did not use the horseradish mixture--it really doesn't need it but use it if you like that flavor.
Jun 5, 2018
Huge hit with our family!! I've never cooked a steak under the broiler and was nervous but it turned out great! Cooked perfectly and had great flavor.
Oct 26, 2011
Delicious! I made this once & my husband asked to have it again within just a few weeks. Great way to use peppers from the garden.