Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gumbo file powder
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and oil until caramel-colored, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 2, 2020
I made the gumbo for New Years and it came out delicious. I did add garlic powder and Cajun season to the recipe. I feel like the recipe could use more shrimp. When I make it again I will add another bag of shrimp outside of that the flavor was good and everyone enjoyed it.
Dec 28, 2019
Made this recipe for Christmas Eve, everyone liked it. I think I would add more tomatoes to it next time.
Dec 15, 2019
Great recipe, added bay leaf, a pound os beef sausage and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. I think next time I will throw in some lump crab along with every thing else!
Feb 27, 2019
Why is the recipe omitting chicken broth for seafood stock.Richer flavor!
Jan 20, 2019
Beautiful. I did not find it bland at all.
Feb 5, 2017
Excellent recipe. My picky husband flipped out over it. We will have this again and again. I used the Corn Starch and water to thicken it as I didn't have File' powder and it was fine. My husband added pepper flakes because he really loves spicy foods.
Aug 2, 2016
I made this about a month ago and we loved it! I'm making it again tonight. Added a bay leaf and can of chopped tomatoes.. Close to my mom's gumbo. I used fresh okra which adds more flavor, I believe. You can make it as spicy as you like. File' powder is always added last. It does help thicken the sauce. Yum! I forgot to add it is always better the next day...IF there is any left!!
Feb 9, 2016
This recipe was great! I have already sent it to several friends and relatives. I made it the day before Mardi Gras and followed the recipe exactly with the exception of 2 things. I did not have any green onions or gumbo file powder but the okra thickened the gumbo nicely and I didn't miss the green onions. I will have plenty of gumbo for the freezer. The fact that this gumbo is low fat as well as low carb was definitely appealing to this Weight Watchers member. Thank you so much, Jo Ann Graham! Happy Mardi Gras!
Jan 3, 2016
Hearty, delicious, and pretty healthy! Can' t beat that! I also had it with chicken added.
Jan 12, 2015
Loved it! Will make again for sure!