- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and ham; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm. In drippings, saute celery, onion, green pepper and green onions until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; cook 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, rice, water and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in sausage mixture and shrimp; heat through.
Freeze option: Prepare jambalaya as directed, omitting rice and shrimp. Freeze shrimp and cooled jambalaya in separate freezer containers. Store rice in an airtight container at room temperature. To use, partially thaw jambalaya in refrigerator overnight. Place jambalaya in a 6-qt. stockpot. Bring to a boil; add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add frozen shrimp. Continue cooking until shrimp are heated through and rice is tender, 10-15 minutes.
1 cup: 295 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 1183mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.