Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 ounces reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery with leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- Chopped green onions, optional
- In a large skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, saute chicken for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Serve with green onions if desired.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 285 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Apr 5, 2018
Not bad, but I thought the chicken breast dried out a bit. I like the Captain Russell's Jambalaya recipe a lot better. Also, I can always tell the difference between white and brown rice. The flavor and the texture are just not as good, in my opinion.
Nov 17, 2015
I love this recipe and make it all the time! It's a great dish to make for company too!
Mar 24, 2011
this recipe was awesome! it was my first go at jambalaya n it was delicious. my boyfriend has acid reflux so i ommited the tomatoes. instead of celery i cut up zucchini, n the dish was soooo good! We both enjoyed it and my coworkers were jealous the next day when i had leftovers for lunch. This 1 dish i will definitely keep around and make more often. I may use shrimp next time.