Ham and Shrimp Jambalaya
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, chili powder and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, cook the ham, onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 5 minutes longer or until the shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 422 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 1591mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Aug 12, 2015
fabulous. great tasting and quick. the best combination
Jan 7, 2015
Replaced chili powder with blackening seasoning and used diced tomatoes in place of stewed...great outcome! Served with cheddar biscuits, yum. Will make again!!
May 17, 2014
This is a fabulous meal! Nothing needed to be changed or modified.
Aug 1, 2011
This is a terrific recipe w/ lots of flavour anda little kick. We used a can of Rotel instead of stewed tomatoes and whole grain brown rice. Would cut the salt in half next time. Depending on the size of the shrimp, they will cook quicker than 5 minutes, so watch carefully. This dish reheats very well. Yum, yum!
Apr 9, 2011
I wanted to try something different. This hit the spot! I doubled the recipe and only put in 1/8tsp cayenne and did chili powder and pepper to taste because I didn't want it to be too spicy for my 4yr old. I also added mushrooms and left the bay leaf out because I didn't have it on hand. Huge success!
Dec 6, 2010
Very good, I was out of stewed tomatoes, so I used a can of rotel tomatoes and diced a fresh tomatoe. It turned out great.
Feb 19, 2010
I have made this many times. Sometimes I have used smoked sausage or kielbasa instead of ham and it is still just as delicious
Jan 3, 2010
This is one of my family and friends favorite recipes. I've made this many times and every time it gets rave reviews. It's easy and oh so good. I have also substituted smoked sausage for the ham and that's wonderful, too.
Sep 30, 2009
I made this dish for friends and they told me their children almost fought over it. It's a great dish!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.