Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makesabout 6 quarts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onion and tops
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups small shrimp, rinsed and drained, or seafood of your choice
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more, or until mixture is reddish brown.
- Add the onion, celery, green pepper and green onions; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, water, okra, paprika, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until seafood is done. Remove from heat; stir in Cajun seasoning.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 175 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 1574mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 28, 2018
My first time making gumbo from scratch. Add crawfish shrimp and sausage. Yummy
May 8, 2018
This was my first time making gumbo. I love to cook & consider myself to be a foodie with a very diverse palette. That being said, this gumbo is EVERYTHING! I added sausage, blue gumbo crabs, & tilapia. Everything else is the same. I also am eating it with a flaky honey butter biscuit. Hands down THEE best gumbo I've ever had. Thanks so much for sharing!!
Jan 1, 2018
I added chicken drumettes, sausage and shrimp. We had it over rice. Very good and easy to make.
Aug 4, 2017
The Cajun flavors come together nicely here and the taste is great!!
Mar 18, 2015
very good recipe; I added rice to the gumbo after was done at the same time that I added the shrimp. This thicken it somewhat . I also cut down on the salt. I also added Andouille sausage to give it more of a cajun style taste.
Mar 7, 2014
Easy to follow. Family loved it over rice.
Mar 1, 2014
This is a huge recipe. Can it be frozen? I'd hate to think my husband and I would be eating this for at least a week. Not a good idea. Help.
Jan 10, 2014
Since I have never made gumbo before, this was a good, non-intimidating recipe to start with.
Sep 25, 2012
I absolutely love this recipe! I made it last night and it was a hit with my kids! I added turkey sausage and chicken to make it the "official" New Orleans style gumbo! It was DELICIOUS!!!
Mar 5, 2011
THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I EVER MADE GUMBO AND IT WAS GREAT. I WILL DEFINATELY BE MAKING MORE