Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tail meat, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large heavy skillet, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over low heat for about 20 minutes until mixture is a caramel-colored paste. Add the celery, pepper and onions; stir until coated. Add the broth, water, parsley, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Add crawfish and heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 11, 2017
I am making this tonight. I cooked my roux 5 minutes longer to make it darker. I'm using crawfish, shrimp, sausage and mussels. So far the sauce is outstanding so I can't imagine the rest not being great. Serving with corn on the cob. Almost a etouffe gumbo boil.
May 8, 2017
Recipes like this make me homesick for Louisiana food! It brings back great memories!
May 8, 2015
I made it with shrimp and went x2 with the tomato paste and the cayenne pepper. It outstanding i can not stop eating it. this gos in to my top 10.
Apr 5, 2014
Easy, quick and delicious!
Apr 7, 2013
Try with shrimp! Add more liquids to make a sauce that can seep into the rice. I add a small hot pepper and red pepper flakes. Put parsley sprig on top before serving. It is a festive dish.