Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds frozen cooked crawfish tail meat, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large heavy skillet, melt butter; stir in flour. Cook and stir over low heat for about 20 minutes until mixture is a caramel-colored paste. Add the celery, pepper and onions; stir until coated. Add the broth, water, parsley, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Add crawfish and heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Jun 11, 2017
I am making this tonight. I cooked my roux 5 minutes longer to make it darker. I'm using crawfish, shrimp, sausage and mussels. So far the sauce is outstanding so I can't imagine the rest not being great. Serving with corn on the cob. Almost a etouffe gumbo boil.
May 8, 2017
Recipes like this make me homesick for Louisiana food! It brings back great memories!
May 8, 2015
I made it with shrimp and went x2 with the tomato paste and the cayenne pepper. It outstanding i can not stop eating it. this gos in to my top 10.
Apr 5, 2014
Easy, quick and delicious!
Apr 7, 2013
Try with shrimp! Add more liquids to make a sauce that can seep into the rice. I add a small hot pepper and red pepper flakes. Put parsley sprig on top before serving. It is a festive dish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.