Game Day Gumbo
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes10 servings (3-3/4 quarts)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (13-1/2 ounces) smoked beef sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) jambalaya mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) dirty rice mix
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, brown sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining butter in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in stock, water, tomatoes and rice mixes. Return chicken and sausage to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 433 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1385mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Sep 6, 2019
That is NOT a gumbo!!! Real gumbo DOES NOT have tomatoes!!! what did you use as a roux??? Also rice is cooked separate not together!!
Sep 6, 2019
That is a lot of rice for Gumbo? Can't say I have ever seen tomatoes in Gumbo before. No trinity or roux. Not really sure what this is.
Jan 27, 2019
This is not gumbo, sorry. Need a great dark roux. There are no tomatoes in authentic gumbo. Jambalaya, yes, gumbo, no. And the rice is separate, not incorporated in the soup (regardless of whether it is a mix or not).
Feb 10, 2017
Quick and easy! I have made it a few time and everyone likes it.
Jan 14, 2017
I have made this several times and my family loves it though it seems more the consistency of Jambalaya than gumbo. I add minced onions to mine. The first time I did it I read the recipe wrong and bought the box of red beans and rice instead of dirty rice. I generally double it for my family and since have used 1 dirty rice and 2 red beans and rice with 2 jambalaya. Today I was out of celery so will not use it. It is very easy to adapt.
Oct 21, 2016
Good soup but definitely NOT gumbo. A real gumbo starts with a great roux.
Feb 20, 2016
I really enjoy this recipe in the winter especially. I agree, it does seem a little salty.. I use Andouille: Louisiana's famous, spicy, coarse-ground smoked pork sausage instead of the beef sausage. I expect the 2 boxed rice ingredients are high in salt. You can use more vegs if you want to offset the amount of rice you end up with.
Oct 22, 2015
It had a lot of flavor. I thought it was good.
Sep 30, 2015
Good but salty.
Sep 11, 2015
Use okra and add seafood, cut back on the flour. Okra is a natural thickener.