- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and stir flour for 6-7 minutes or until light brown in color. Immediately transfer to a small bowl; whisk in broth until smooth.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir flour mixture; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the sausage, okra, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until okra is tender. Stir in shrimp and chicken. Cook and stir 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice.
1-1/3 cups gumbo with 1/2 cup rice: 336 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.