Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, horseradish, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Spoon onto rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 344 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 11, 2012
I've made this recipe many times now. It is our favorite "sloppy joe" recipe. I use one tablespoon vinegar instead of three and one whole green pepper instead of 1/4 cup. I often use 2 lbs of beef because that is how we package our burger and it still has enough sauce. It also tastes great on top of baking powder or 7-Up biscuits.
Dec 22, 2010
Omitted the white vinegar & bay leaf. Very delicious! No leftovers! Excellent recipe!
Jan 26, 2009
I would love to try these, but cannot find condensed chicken gumbo soup in my area...any substitution ideas?
Sep 9, 2008
This was good, but a little too sweet for our tastes. Didn't taste much like gumbo.
Feb 3, 2008
Sounds delicious!! I cannot wait to try it, I just hope I can find condensed chicken gumbo soup.