Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
Makes16 servings (about 4 quarts)
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the drippings, saute red pepper, onion and celery until tender. Stir in the seasonings; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra; cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Oct 16, 2017
This is a favorite of my family and my neighbors! I need to double it and I still don't have enough!
Dec 19, 2013
I have made this a number of times--we love it!
Dec 28, 2012
The only thing that makes this gumbo meal even more perfect is to serve it with sweet potato pie!
Dec 28, 2012
I've made this so many times now, that I've lost track of how many. It is so loved by my family. I've tried to make gumbos with a roux several times & it never turned out or tasted quite right. So I really appreciate this recipe. I often use leftover chicken, but other than that, I don't change a thing. It's perfect as is.
Mar 13, 2012
Have been making this for years! It is always a hit when I do.
Mar 28, 2011
How can you make Gumbo without a Roux?
Mar 5, 2011
I made this for our Christmas social at work and everyone loved it. It is now a favorite of my family's also. I don't usually like sausage or soups with shrimp in it but I liked this. Just the right amount of heat.
Jun 15, 2009
I love this gumbo and have served it many times! An Australian friend took the recipe home with him for his family to try. It's one of my stand-bys now.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.