Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo
This recipe skips the traditional hard-to-find spices and still delivers the true seafood flavor beloved in the Louisiana bayou and beyond.—Wolfgang Hanau, West Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bottles (8 ounces each) clam juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-1/2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the bacon, clam juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and marjoram. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in shrimp and okra. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until shrimp turn pink and okra is heated through. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 287 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Originally published as Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012