Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo
This recipe skips the traditional hard-to-find spices and still delivers the true seafood flavor beloved in the Louisiana Bayou and beyond.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bottles (8 ounces each) clam juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2-1/2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute the celery, onion, green pepper and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the bacon, clam juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and marjoram. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir in shrimp and okra. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until shrimp turn pink and okra is heated through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice): 285 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 1074mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Bayou Gulf Shrimp Gumbo in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.