"I prefer rabbit cooked this way - moist and tasty, smothered in a lemon sauce that's also a bit peppery," writes Audrey Thibodeau of Mesa, Arizona.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 dressed rabbit (about 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a skillet, brown rabbit in oil; drain. Cover rabbit with boiling water; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove meat and keep warm. Bring cooking liquid to a boil; boil, uncovered, until reduced to 2 cups.
- In a bowl, combine flour and butter until smooth; gradually add a small amount of cooking liquid. Return to skillet. Whisk in remaining liquid. add lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, celery salt, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Combine the egg and milk; gradually whisk in sauce. Cook for 1 minute or until thickened and mixture reaches 160°. Pour over the rabbit.