Peter Rabbit Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 1-3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Assorted jelly beans
- 1 stick black licorice, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch strips
- Mix and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For bunny's head, place one cake on a 20x14-in. covered board. Cut remaining cake into two ears and one bow tie (see Fig. 1). Place ears 4-in. apart on top of head. Place bow tie so it fits in curve of head (see photo).
- Frost top and sides of head, ears and bow tie. Sprinkle 1-1/4 cups coconut over head and ears. Divide remaining coconut between two resealable plastic bags; add red food coloring to one bag and green to the other. Seal bags and shake to coat. Place pink coconut on ears to within 1/2 in of the edges. Place green coconut around the cake.
- Use jelly beans for eyes, nose and to decorate bow tie. Cut the licorice into seven 2-in. pieces and seven 3/4-in. pieces. Place six 2-in. pieces next to nose for whiskers. Bend the remaining 2-in. piece into a semicircle and place 3/4 in. below nose for mouth. Connect nose to mouth with one 3/4-in. pieces. Place three 3/4-in. pieces above each eye for eyelashes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 21, 2015
I have made this every Easter since 1962. I enjoyed decorating it as a child, my children loved decorating it and now my grand children enjoy decorating the Easter Bunny cake.
Apr 18, 2014
Quick, easy and so much fun to assemble! I've made this several times, varying the decorations and cake flavors. It's always a hit.
Mar 4, 2013
Apr 3, 2012
We loved the cake, but my kids do not like coconut so i shaved white dipping choclate for the coconut. It was really good. thanks for the recipe. Loved his jelly bean jacket.
Apr 27, 2011
I used a carrot cake recipe instead of white cake, and I decorated the ears with carrot shavings and the bowtie with sprinkles. Very cute for Easter!
Mar 23, 2011
This was quite easier than I had thought. It's a great recipe and my granddaughter loved helping me to decorate it. Thanks for sharing!
Mar 31, 2010
my family has made this cake every easter since i can remember! we use m&m's for the bow tie, nose, and eyes!!!!! it is always fun to make it with different kinds of cake too!!!!! : )