Slow-Cooked Hearty Jambalaya
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, cubed
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 16 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 1137mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Oct 17, 2017
This is excellent. It froze well also.
Mar 13, 2017
My mother is creole and use to make something that tastes similar however she never called it jambalaya. Maybe because it was usually just chicken and sausage. I thought that this had a nice kick (I added cayenne, pepper and a bit more creole seasoning). I think this would be better with cut okra because it tastes almost exactly like my okra and tomatoes. I think next time I will add okra to this!
Aug 26, 2015
Made this according to recipe except I left the adding of the Louisiana-style hot sauce to each individual according to their personal taste, which worked out perfectly.
Jun 17, 2015
The taste was awesome. I did find that it had a lot of juice. I just drained it off and used it to make some SERIOUSLY good rice!
Jan 31, 2015
This is amazing! My husband said he felt like he was in New Orleans :) The only thing I did different was to put in raw shrimp and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing!
Apr 27, 2014
I made this for a large family gathering. Many of us had never eaten it before, and it was a hit!
Mar 3, 2014
I had boneless chicken thighs on hand, which I used instead by cutting them up, salting them and partially cooking them. I omitted the celery and red pepper since I didn't have them on hand, as well as the extra thyme since it was already in my homemade Cajun seasoning.Everyone enjoyed it with hush puppies.
Mar 2, 2014
My husband loves the Cajun seasoning on everything so this recipe was a big hit. We used our own homemade Andouille sausage. It even gets better the next day. THANK YOU !!! Great Recipe !!!!
Feb 22, 2014
this was delicious.made it for company and they raved about it.
Jan 21, 2014