Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 3-4 hours.
- Stir before serving. Remove bay leaf. Serve with green onions and rice. Freeze option: Discard bay leaf and freeze cooled bean mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 291 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1070mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 13g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 31, 2015
Good. I omitted the green peppers, sweet red peppers and the crushed red peppers.Tasted very good. This is a keeper for me.
Sep 7, 2014
I added 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning and used 1 can each kidney beans, black beans and great northern beans. Served with garlic mashed potatoes instead of rice. Nice dinner.
Mar 16, 2014
It was tasty, but I made a few changes: 3 cans of beans instead of 4, 1 extra pepper, and added about a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning for extra flavor.
Mar 2, 2014
I used regular sausage
Jan 30, 2014
This is delicious! I could only find smoked pork sausage. Wonderful blend of flavors.
Oct 28, 2013
Big hit with whole family. Saute'd vegetables and decreased cooking time to 4 hours. Tossed in some fresh parsley and thyme...yum!
Mar 6, 2013
My family loves this dish. I serve it over brown rice to make it a little more healthy and because white rice seems to soft. it gets mushy.
Jan 15, 2013
great dinner. Its a comforting dish.
Nov 5, 2012
Received major compliments from my husband his friends. Very hearty. Start this in the morning before I leave for work and come home to dinner. Love this recipe.
Jun 13, 2012
believe it or not, people in Louisiana do NOT put tomatoes in red beans or gumbo!