Red Beans and Rice Mix
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Combine the first 10 ingredients; place in an airtight container. Place beans and rice in separate containers. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare red beans and rice: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain. Return beans to pan; add seasoning mix, 2-1/2 cups water and ham hocks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks; cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Add the sausage. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until beans are tender and sausage is heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, salt and remaining water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls; top with bean mixture. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Jun 8, 2010
This mix makes up a nice dinner. I made this and gave some to a friend and kept some for myself. It's super easy and much better than "prepared boxes" of red beans and rice....but just as easy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.