Meaty Slow-Cooked Jambalaya
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7-1/4 hours
Makes12 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille or other spicy chicken sausage links
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first 13 ingredients. Place chicken and sausage in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Stir in shrimp. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup jambalaya with 2/3 cup cooked rice: 387 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Mar 8, 2016
I made this last night using crushed tomatoes because my son hates tomatoes if he realizes they're there. I also reduced the spicier spices a bit. But the overall smell and texture were just like what I would get at a restaurant. The andouille sausage definitely added authenticity and was easy to avoid giving to the kids. A fairly easy way to take a trip to New Orleans for dinner.
Dec 8, 2015
This is one of my super picky daughter's favorites! We use crushed tomatoes instead of the diced because she hates the texture of tomatoes. The green pepper gets left out due to my husband.We have used crawfish instead of the shrimp and played around with different sausages. It is a winner every time!
Nov 29, 2015
Very tasty recipe. Can substitute different spices in for your taste preference and it's still great.
Sep 22, 2015
PERFECT..WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING
Feb 18, 2015
What a treat. Spicy but can not put spoon down. I served with no rice and it was full bodied enough. We were experiencing ice storm so no trips to store to buy. I followed recipe to a t except no green peppers in the house. What an easy recipe. I am handicapped, so slow getting around and it took me about 45 mins for prep. All i can say is yummmmm!!
Nov 12, 2014
Turned out phenomenal, thank you! We don't like things too spicy, so I substituted a smoked sausage for the andouille, used Penzey Cajun Spice mix and omitted the cayenne pepper. Smelled as great as it tasted!
Jun 28, 2014
Very good flavor and easy to make.
Apr 18, 2014
Very good. The aroma while it was cooking was in itself mouth watering. The taste was fantstic also.
Feb 18, 2014
Very tasty and easy to make. I used white rice instead of brown. Husband does not like brown rice. Used turkey kielbasa for the sausage.
Jan 23, 2014
Fantastic recipe! The only thing I have done differently to this is add deer sausage links! Awesome!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.