Sausage and Egg Grits
I always mix my sausage, grits and eggs together so I thought it would be great to make a casserole that did the same. It’s loaded with downhome flavor without using any butter! —Jeannine Quiller, Raleigh, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 breakfast turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1-1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk, divided
- 3 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Whisk egg substitute and 1/4 cup milk; add to same skillet. Cook and stir until set; remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, bring water, salt and remaining milk to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in half of the cheese. Add the sausage, eggs, green onions and pepper; heat through. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with remaining cheese.