Southern Chicken Rice Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
Makes10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Place chicken, water and salt in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and set side until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones and discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add the rice, vegetables and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 204 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 12, 2011
One of my favorite chicken soup recipes. It has a nice kick to it & freezes well. The only thing I do different is use a can of petite diced tomatoes in place of the stewed tomatoes & chopped green chilies.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.