Southern Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried savory
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 133 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1095mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 4, 2018
This was just OK..I think too tomato-y for me! So glad the okra's in there as I think that's the best part. Not a fan of the frozen mixed vegies. Don't think I'd make again. It wasn't horrible, just not to my liking.
Nov 14, 2009
The blend of chilis and the chunky vegetables is just fantastic. Love this recipe!
Feb 18, 2009
This is a 5-star recipe. My mother was from Alabama and this reminds me of the soup she used to make.Vikatina
Jan 5, 2009
Vegetable broth can be found in the soup aisle with chicken broth or beef broth. I add veg. and beef broth to my soup. I also cube potatoes and add some elbow macaroni. Oh so filling and good. Honey girl.
Nov 15, 2008
how do I find vegetable broth
Nov 14, 2008
i WANT TO KNOW FAT, CALORIE AND FIBER COUNT
Nov 13, 2008
I want to know the fat and colories in this soup
Nov 13, 2008
Wich you gave calorie and fat content.