South Carolina Chicken & Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (13 to 14 ounces each ) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 6-quart stockpot, cook chicken in 2 cups broth over medium heat until a thermometer reads 170°, turning halfway through cooking. Remove chicken; set aside to cool. Add sausage, onion and remaining broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until rice is almost tender (mixture may be soupy).
- Shred chicken; add to rice. Cook, covered, until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 528 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1402mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Oct 19, 2018
This was delicious and although not fancy I would serve it to company because the flavors are wonderful. My husband asked why we had never had it before since it is a South Carolina dish and we had been living there for several years. Just having moved to the Dallas area I found a deal on Eckrich brand rope smoked sausage which was very good. I cut the recipe in half pretty much estimating the sausage and chicken amounts and it was perfect. Such an easy recipe that smells divine simmering on the stove. I was tempted to add some seasoning but don't do it, the sausage and onion take care of it. Add a salad and some warm crusty bread and you are all set, believe me.