South Carolina Chicken & Rice
Chicken Bog is the traditional name for this South Carolina Lowcountry dish. We always make a big batch the day after Thanksgiving, when we're working on our family's Christmas tree farm. —Jean Cochran, Lexington, SC
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (13 to 14 ounces each ) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 6-quart stockpot, cook chicken in 2 cups broth over medium heat until a thermometer reads 170°, turning halfway through cooking. Remove chicken; set aside to cool. Add sausage, onion and remaining broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until rice is almost tender (mixture may be soupy).
- Shred chicken; add to rice. Cook, covered, until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 528 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1402mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Bog in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.