South Carolina Chicken & Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 packages (13 to 14 ounces each ) smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 6-quart stockpot, cook chicken in 2 cups broth over medium heat until a thermometer reads 170°, turning halfway through cooking. Remove chicken; set aside to cool. Add sausage, onion and remaining broth to stockpot; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until rice is almost tender (mixture may be soupy).
- Shred chicken; add to rice. Cook, covered, until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 528 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 1402mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 19, 2018
This was delicious and although not fancy I would serve it to company because the flavors are wonderful. My husband asked why we had never had it before since it is a South Carolina dish and we had been living there for several years. Just having moved to the Dallas area I found a deal on Eckrich brand rope smoked sausage which was very good. I cut the recipe in half pretty much estimating the sausage and chicken amounts and it was perfect. Such an easy recipe that smells divine simmering on the stove. I was tempted to add some seasoning but don't do it, the sausage and onion take care of it. Add a salad and some warm crusty bread and you are all set, believe me.