Southern Hoppin’ John
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute pepper, celery and onions in drippings until almost tender. Add rice, water and seasonings. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add peas and bacon; simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 2, 2019
This was quick and easy and tasty! I will definitely make again!
Jan 11, 2017
I had forgotten all about this recipe until it came out in the Dec 2016 issue. I used to make this all of the time . This version has celery while the one I used to make does not. I did add the celery and made as written; except I made mine today meatless and I added 1.5 cups shredded cheese....just like I used to make. My family thinks cheese makes everything better and it does!