Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 large oven roasting bag
- 1 roasting chicken (3-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium green peppers, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint or 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 7 drops bitters, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour in oven bag; shake to coat. Place oven bag in a 13x9-in. baking pan or larger roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and cayenne pepper; place in bag.
- Surround chicken with onions, potatoes, carrots and green peppers. Place one garlic clove inside the chicken and one with the vegetables. Sprinkle parsley and mint over vegetables and chicken. Combine broth, Worcestershire sauce and bitters if desired. Pour under chicken inside of bag.
- Fasten the bag. Puncture the top of the bag five or six times with a fork. Bake until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
Louisiana Chicken Tips
How do you store Louisiana Chicken?Like other chicken recipes, you can store this recipe 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
What can you serve Louisiana Chicken with?There are so many delicious Southern sides to serve with this Louisiana chicken recipe. Try out biscuits or this bacon collard greens recipe.
Are there any substitutions possible within this Louisiana chicken recipe?Try substituting different dry rubs for the chicken. If you love this recipe, you'll adore these other recipes from Louisiana.
—Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor
4 ounces cooked chicken with vegetables: 496 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 32g protein.