Carolina Shrimp Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or just until shrimp turns pink. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kale and red pepper; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in peas, salt, pepper and shrimp; heat through. If desired, sprinkle servings with chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 188 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Apr 11, 2018
I let mine simmer a bit longer to let the kale cook down. Once it was tender, it was a great addition to the soup. I could've eaten the whole pot!
May 22, 2017
Way too much kale 16 cups was too overwhelming.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.