Carolina Shrimp Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook just until shrimp turn pink, 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from pot.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kale and red pepper; cook, covered, until kale is tender, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in peas, salt, pepper and shrimp; heat through. If desired, sprinkle servings with chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 188 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2018
I let mine simmer a bit longer to let the kale cook down. Once it was tender, it was a great addition to the soup. I could've eaten the whole pot!
May 22, 2017
Way too much kale 16 cups was too overwhelming.