Chilled Corn and Shrimp Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shoe-peg corn, thawed, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the shrimp, garlic and curry; saute until shrimp turn pink, 4-6 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the buttermilk, 2 cups corn, sour cream, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining corn and shrimp mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish servings with chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 317 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 2, 2017
I happened across this recipe when looking for another chilled soup recipe and thought i needed to try it. So glad i did!!! :) It's rich and filling and yummy and simple - what's not to like?! The corn adds a nice sweetness that's not overpowering. I may add more curry next time but this is definitely at the top of my summer rotation!
Aug 20, 2011
Perfect summer soup! Quick and easy to make. I will be making it again.