Freezer Vegetable Soup
"This flavorful soup tastes so fresh you'll never know it's been frozen," says Elizabeth Moore of Frankfort, Kentucky. You can easily double the recipe when tomatoes are plentiful or toss in extra vegetables from your garden. For heartier fare, beef it up with ground beef, sausage or meatballs.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Cook: 35 min.
Makes2 batches (4 servings each)
- SOUP BASE:
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- In a kettle or Dutch oven, combine the soup base ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Cool.
- Place 2 cups each into freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 2 batches (4 cups total).
- To prepare soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a kettle or Dutch oven. Add potatoes and water; simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 108 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jun 14, 2018
probably should use some type of stock. This recipe depends on the salt and sugar to bring out the flavors. Consider an old standby like a soup base and skip the salt and sugar. #redibasecooking