Freezer Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Cook: 35 min.
Makes2 batches (4 servings each)
- SOUP BASE:
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- In a kettle or Dutch oven, combine the soup base ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Cool.
- Place 2 cups each into freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 2 batches (4 cups total).
- To prepare soup: Thaw soup base in the refrigerator. Transfer to a kettle or Dutch oven. Add potatoes and water; simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 108 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jun 14, 2018
probably should use some type of stock. This recipe depends on the salt and sugar to bring out the flavors. Consider an old standby like a soup base and skip the salt and sugar. #redibasecooking
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.