Fresh Corn and Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Press through a sieve or food mill; return to the pan. Add the sugar, salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in corn and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until corn is tender. Garnish with parsley and green onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 115 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Sep 19, 2015
Fresh from the vine! Good flavor. I pureed about half the tomatoes and did not put other ingredients through food mill. Nothing like growing your own tomatoes and green peppers.
Aug 4, 2011
With an abundance of tomatoes from our garden, homegrown corn available, and my husband being a soup lover, I thought I'd try something new. YES!! It was a hit!
May 7, 2011
This soup was excellent. The only thing I did different was not to put it thru a food mill.
Jan 13, 2010
Very GOOD. used rgular pepper for home use.