Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaves, tomatoes, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Add oil and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 140 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Mar 2, 2013
I have made this several times.It is very economical and easy and tasty.
Jul 25, 2010
Very good meatless, but if you want meat it's easy to add diced ham or sliced smoked sausage. The beans can be varied, too. I really like versatile recipes such as this one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.