- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaves, tomatoes, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Add oil and heat through.
1 cup: 140 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
- Mar 2, 2013
I have made this several times.It is very economical and easy and tasty.
- Jul 30, 2011
No comment left
- Jul 25, 2010
Very good meatless, but if you want meat it's easy to add diced ham or sliced smoked sausage. The beans can be varied, too. I really like versatile recipes such as this one.