Cheese Soup with a Twist
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute the celery, onion and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, olives, carrots and, if desired, sherry; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with parsley and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 292 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1155mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 8, 2018
This needs some tweaking but it is a great soup. I like using heavy cream instead of milk. I leave out the olives and I add in some pimento cheese.
Mar 31, 2015
Substitute the pimento-stuffed olives with black olives and use heavy whipping cream instead of milk and you'll have one butt-kicker of a recipe!
Mar 21, 2014
Velveta was way to over powering. Olives didn't taste good with the cheese.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.