Italian Three-Cheese Macaroni
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes12 servings (1 cup each)
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheddar and Parmesan cheeses until melted. Drain macaroni.
- Spread 1 cup cheese sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Layer with half of macaroni, tomatoes and cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 402 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 26, 2017
Definitely unique. My 6-year-old loves it. It's pretty mild, which I like. Even my husband likes it.
Apr 28, 2014
Per the other reviewers' tips, I added 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to the cheese sauce, drained the tomatoes & sprinkled more Italian seasoning over the first layer in a sprayed crockpot. Skipped the bread crumbs. Everyone enjoyed it immensely at our fellowship buffet. Thumbs up!
Apr 16, 2014
This is fantastic! I changed nothing, except added chicken. Everyone loved it!
Mar 31, 2014
I would use stewed tomatoes instead of plain tomatoes.
Mar 28, 2014
It was a great meal!
Mar 13, 2014
This recipe was very simple to make, and uses ingredients that I always have on hand. I used penne pasta instead of the elbows, I used less mozzarella cheese on top, and sprinkled the breadcrumbs then did a quick spray of nonstick on top. My fiance and I agreed that it was lacking something. If I make it again, I would add more mozzarella cheese on top, maybe use seasoned breadcrumbs, and either add garlic or use diced tomatoes that have a flavor to them. Other than the lack of "something," this recipe was very good. Since it is just the two of us, I decreased it and made it in an 8x8 pan.
Mar 12, 2014
This dish was easy to put together and tasted amazing! Did make a few tweaks though, instead of tomatoes I used green chilies and also added bacon, my husband went back 3 times for more!
Mar 12, 2014
Made this for my sister and mom over the holidays this past Christmas. Easy to make and very creamy. Spices and tomatoes give it a different flavour to traditional mac and cheese, but still tastes great. A nice change to try once in a while.