Three-Cheese Jumbo Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, bouillon and oregano. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and egg. Stuff shells with the cheese mixture.
- Arrange shells in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Spoon meat sauce over shells. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Freeze option: After assembling, sprinkle casserole with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3 stuffed shells: 442 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 706mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Dec 11, 2017
I thought this was horrible (and so did my family). It was tasteless and needed a lot more than salt and pepper. I would suggest using italian sausage for starters.
Mar 9, 2016
I liked it a lot, I would definitely make it again. Very filling.
Feb 19, 2016
I make stuffed shells often. I only make mine cheese stuffed and stuff my manacotti with meat. No need to pre-cook shells. just stuff them and put them in the sauce, cover with foil and remove at the end to brown the cheese a little.
Oct 6, 2015
Jan 3, 2015
This was a good one. will be making again.--BDW
Nov 29, 2014
I read the reviews before I made this recipe and followed Nancy03743's suggestions when I made it. I added 1-1/2 tsp. basil, 1-1/2 tsp. parsley, 1-1/2 tsp. garlic, 1-1/2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and omitted the beef bouillon. This recipe is delicious and pretty easy. I'm adding it to our regular dinner rotation.
Nov 18, 2014
I tried it but would like to tweek it , some garlic , onion powder,..
Nov 14, 2014
Will make again, this was yummy! I did add 1 tabsp. parsley, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper to cheese mixture. Next time I might add 1 tsp. Italian seasoning to meat mixture.
Oct 29, 2014
Made last night for dinner and we all had seconds..East to make and yummy...
Aug 29, 2011
I noticed this recipe needed more spices so I added 1-1/2 tsp. basil, 1-1/2 tsp. parsley, 1-1/2 tsp. garlic, 1-1/2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and omitted the beef bouillon. It tasted like my homemade lasagna recipe that won 1st place in a contest.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.