Five-Cheese Jumbo Shells
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook shells according to package directions for al dente; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, provolone and Romano cheeses; stir in egg, seasonings and vegetables.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fill pasta shells with cheese mixture; place in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts3 stuffed shells: 298 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 642mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 25, 2018
Keeper! I made this following the recipe exactly, but next time I would saut? the mushrooms and zucchini and drain on paper towel to remove more water content. I like the idea of freezing ready-made shells for a quick dinner!
Jun 29, 2017
Love the fact that it has veggies in it; delicious!
Aug 25, 2014
I would ditch the zucchini and the mushrooms but other than that, it sounds pretty good.
Jul 4, 2014
quick and easy, really like the added vegetables in the filling. froze half for another time. used my own marinara sauce from the tomatoes in my garden.
Feb 14, 2014
Dec 30, 2013
Great meatless meal and easy for a non-cook to prepare!
Dec 10, 2013
I made this dish for my husband and he LOVED !!!
Nov 24, 2013
This is sooo good and simple to make. Will be making again.
Nov 11, 2013
This was a great recipe. It was great because I could freeze the extras. Also I would add more seasoning to the veggies. But other than that it was light and hearty at the same time.
Aug 23, 2013
Great flavor & easy to make!! Nice way to use garden zucchini!