Five-Cheese Ziti al Forno
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 pounds (about 7-1/2 cups) ziti or small tube pasta
- 2 jars (24 ounces each) marinara sauce
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Alfredo sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Minced fresh parsley or basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, 1 cup mozzarella, ricotta, provolone, and Romano cheeses. Heat over medium heat until sauce begins to simmer and cheeses are melted. Stir in cooked pasta; pour mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together Parmesan, bread crumbs, garlic and olive oil; sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake, uncovered, until mixture is bubbly and topping is golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil if desired.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 15-20 minutes longer.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 449 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 26, 2019
This is so good! It is easy to make, makes a lot, and is a great comfort food. I made the full recipe, but divided the mixture into two different square dishes. I cooked one and froze the other for later and am happy to say that it tasted just as good using the directions for the freeze option.
Sep 20, 2019
I LOVE THIS DISH!!!! I did use a quality jar sauce, I think that is probably important. The only change that I made was adding cooked Hot Italian Sausage, which I’m sure didn’t hurt in its success either. ?? I highly recommend this one!
Aug 19, 2019
I cut the recipe in half and that still is a lot. I used fine shreds of fresh basil on top after baking. All 4 of us loved it and called it a keeper, really good find! Family took leftovers home for another dinner! We'll be enjoying that recipe in the future, and it goes together very quickly and easily..
Aug 13, 2019
I made this for our neighborhood picnic, because it makes a huge amount and it was gone in a flash - love both the Marinara and Alfredo sauces - flavor is astonishing