Savory Corn Bread
Want to serve your favorite chili or stew with an equally amazing corn bread? Look no further than this simply perfect recipe. It's the best! I've brought it to potlucks many times. —Krista Klaus, Round Rock, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total: 30 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 170 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 533mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Country Cornbread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.