Corn Bread with a Kick
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk.
- Place butter in an 8-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 425° oven until butter is melted, 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peppers and bacon.
- Carefully swirl the butter in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cut into wedges; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 1, 2012
I would make two changes. First, NO SUGAR, next plain milk instead of buttermilk. Also it isn't corn bread unless it is baked in a cast iron skillet.
Nov 23, 2009
My son loved it. Requests it all the time. It's spicy without being overpowering. Has a nice little zing. The bacon and peppers together are a great flavor. Is now in my personal recipes.