Corn Bread with a Kick
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk.
- Place butter in an 8-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; heat skillet in a 425° oven until butter is melted, 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peppers and bacon.
- Carefully swirl the butter in the skillet to coat the sides and bottom of pan; add batter. Bake at 425° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cut into wedges; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 174 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 1, 2012
I would make two changes. First, NO SUGAR, next plain milk instead of buttermilk. Also it isn't corn bread unless it is baked in a cast iron skillet.
Nov 23, 2009
My son loved it. Requests it all the time. It's spicy without being overpowering. Has a nice little zing. The bacon and peppers together are a great flavor. Is now in my personal recipes.