Savory Stuffing Bread
Poultry seasoning and celery salt make this hearty loaf taste like just like stuffing. It's the perfect bread to serve with turkey during the holidays, and it's nice for making sandwiches with the leftovers. —Betsy King, Duluth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, seasonings and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth; heat to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a well floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Place in 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans, seam side down.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.