Savory Party Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread widthwise into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Place cheese in cuts in bread.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, green onions and poppy seeds; drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Unwrap; bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 481 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2019
This bread is phenomenal!! I made it as a side with pasta, so I added some garlic and used mozzarella rather than Monterey jack, but I am sure that would be delicious as well.
Feb 5, 2019
Excellent! I made for Christmas Eve and it was the first thing from the table gone. Thanks for sharing!
Feb 6, 2018
Delicious! Great aroma and presentation. I used white cheddar, Colby jack, 1 clove of garlic crushed into the butter, and omitted the onions.
Jan 31, 2018
I made this for a starter on Christmas, it disappeared in a flash!
Jan 11, 2018
Yummy! I made 1 with Mexican cheese blend and 1 with vegan cheese. Both tasted great and I will definitely make it again.
Dec 25, 2017
Big hit, can’t go wrong with this, I might use a bit more butter and poppy seeds next time.
Oct 22, 2017
It was good, but l would use less onion the next time. Janet. VFE
Oct 5, 2017
What is not to like...bread, cheese, butter...need I say more? Makes a pretty presentation on the appetizer table and guests come back for more and more and more!
Apr 20, 2017
This snack is as amazing!
Feb 1, 2017
I added crispy bacon and the bread disappeared in 3 minutes. I am making this bread again, but this time I will prepare two of them..We love the flavor.