Italian Snack Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makesabout 8 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the egg, oil oregano, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Pat into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Spoon evenly over dough. Sprinkle with rosemary and salt if desired. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Cut into small squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 254 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 12, 2019
simply delicious and different
Dec 7, 2012
We loved this. I am going to make another pan of it to take to a football game potluck on Sunday. I am going to make a white pizza dip to serve with it. Thank you for a wonderful new addition to my favorites.