Savory Cheddar Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, onion salt, oregano, dry mustard and cheese; set aside. Combine egg, milk and butter; add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Spread batter in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 149 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 8, 2017
The perfect accompaniment to your favorite bowl of soup or chili!
Dec 5, 2014
This was quick and easy to make, and sliced beautifully, but it lacked flavor. Tasted too bland and floury. I will add a little more "zip" if I make it again.
Mar 30, 2014
This is a 10 star recipe. OMG, this is good, and my family loves it. I bake bread all the time, and cannot believe how easy this recipe is. Thanks so much. From a fellow Canadian, Shannon.
Mar 1, 2012
I love this recipe; it is quick and easy, always well received. If I find I have unused cheddar that is looking like it might start to mold, I shave the top layer off and I make a batch of this bread and pop it in the freezer to use later. Who doesn't like homemade bread?
Mar 7, 2010
I have made this recipe some 50 times over each time I make back beans and rice.Somehow I lost it and thankfully found it on the web siteGOOD
Jan 13, 2010
This was really good, and really pretty easy. Let it rest in the pan 5-10 minutes before trying to take it out of the pan. It was good with a Sharp Cheddar.