Yeast Corn Bread Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the cornmeal, milk powder, butter, sugar, salt, 1-1/4 cups flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into a loaf. Place in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 129 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 11, 2019
Great recipe, but you should’ve called it corncake.
Dec 23, 2018
I made these into dinner rolls and everyone loved them.. thankyou
Aug 28, 2017
Maybe our favorite bread in 3 decades of my baking!! Wow, so delighted. I use bread machine for kneading because I am lazy (on knead only setting), then punch down, shape loaf into greased pan, let rise 30-45 minutes and bake as directed. I substituted 1 Tbsp of molasses for 1 Tbsp of sugar. Can't wait to try this with whole wheat flour. Thank you!
Jul 18, 2016
Great way to make corn bread. I liked it wasn't as crumbly as traditional corn bread is.
Apr 23, 2014
An interesting way to make cornbread. Super easy and tasted great with soup! I also doubled the recipe like rutharriet did (to have one loaf to freeze) and had no problems with that.
Oct 21, 2013
The picture looks nice, but I'd like to replace the all purpose flour with a gluten free whole grain flour. what would be a good substitute for the all purpose flour, maybe yuca flour?
Oct 14, 2012
Easy and delicious.
Feb 9, 2012
I straight out doubled the recipe to get two loaves. Had only buttermilk powder so had to use that. Also I used a mixture of white whole wheat flour and bread flour. My substitutions worked and this bread was awesome.
Oct 3, 2009
i really like it
Oct 3, 2009
this is wonderful