Favorite Buttermilk Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 6 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add buttermilk, butter, honey, salt, baking soda, wheat germ and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Braid three ropes; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteWarmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 183 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2013
This bread is so comfy and delicious. I love to eat it with stew and pot roast, but it is good anytime!
Nov 17, 2012
fantastic bread, I usually swap out 1/3 to 1/2 white flour for wheat and it's still fine grained and light.
Sep 3, 2012
This bread is very good. I like to also make it into soup bowls. Takes a bit more time than my standard white and wheat bread, but it is worth it! YUM!
Jul 14, 2011
Do you think this can this be made with dry buttermilk?
Oct 26, 2010
This was one of the best breads I have ever made. Loved it!!!!