Golden Cheese Yeast Bread
My husband, Mark, and I wanted a causal wedding and decided on a cold plate buffet supper. This fun cheesy bread baked by my mom was a special addition.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups warm whole milk (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cheese, sugar, yeast and salt. Add milk and egg; beat on low speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 127 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Golden Cheese Yeast Bread in Down the Aisle Country-Style
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.