Favorite Mexican Cornbread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Honey, optional
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg; add corn and remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until combined. Pour batter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm. Drizzle with honey if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 235 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 7, 2018
This recipe is easy to throw together in less than five, let it bake while the soup or stew simmers. I made it without the bacon, and threw in a can of roasted chilis (4oz) to accompany vegetarian chili.
Jul 2, 2017
This corn bread is soo good especially along side soup or stew! Yum!
Jun 6, 2010
This is a gread recipe. I have used it (minus the bacon drippings, and I use the exact amount of finely chopped green pepper instead of the onion) many times. I got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine a couple of years ago and I love it. It goes great with beans or something that does not have a very strong flavor because this bread certainly does.
Dec 30, 2009
I love this recipe! I sometimes include some chopped green chilies, but most of the time I make it just the way the recipe states.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.